Here’s a couple of my coffee creamer recipes!

One of the things I needed to really CUT BACK on was flavored coffee creamer.  In my house we go through quite a bit of it… usually we get Coffee-mate or Darigold flavored half-n-half (which is local and natural, so obviously preferred).  However, the stuff is Expensive with a capital E!

So I played around a bit and found a couple pretty decent recipes.  I’d bought some half & half intending to do this, but the first try turned out not too shabby.  This is actually the only one I’ve made, but the others down below I do INTEND to  make sometime :)

Homemade Coffee Creamer RecipesHomemade Vanilla flavored half & half
2 cups Half & half
4 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs vanilla extract

Take 1/2 cup of the half & half and heat it on low heat in a small saucepan.  Add the sugar, turn off the heat and stir until dissolved.  Add remainder of half & half and vanilla.  Store in the fridge :)

Easy peasy!  You do end up using more of this stuff than of Coffee Mate for instance, but I think next time I try I’ll add in some powdered milk substitute and maybe a bit more sugar & vanilla and make it more concentrated.

UPDATE 6/18/11 – We’ve evolved with how we do this a bit, so I thought I’d post my modified recipe.  I am now buying half ‘n half by the half gallon, and I flavor the whole thing at one time.  I also add a little more sugar so we end up using a little less creamer.

Big Batch Vanilla Creamer

• 1/2 gallon cream
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup vanilla extract

Remove about 2 cups of cream from the gallon (doesn’t have to be exact) and heat it gently with the sugar until the sugar is dissolved.  I do it in the microwave half of the time.  Once the sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla extract.  Mix well, and then add the  mixture back into the half gallon container.  You will have a little left over, so the best way to mix it all together is to pour the cream back and forth between containers until it’s all mixed.  I just keep the leftover creamer in a small container, it’s about 2 or 3 cups of coffee worth.  Cream has a very long shelf life so it’s just easiest to make a bunch at once.

PS – if you use a different flavor, don’t add 1/4 cup of it.  Vanilla is a very mild flavor so I find we use more of it, but when making other flavors like almond cream or banana cream I tend to still use mostly vanilla and then top it off with the other flavors.

PPS – Pouring out 1/4 cup of vanilla extract at a time is pretty painful so for this I have opted to use the fake stuff – I bought a big 24oz bottle of artificial vanilla at the local restaurant supply store and it works great.

Vanilla is what my hubby likes, but I like chocolate mint.  I’ll try that one next.  Here’s what I’m going to try:

Chocolate Mint Creamer
2 cups half & half
4 Tbs Sugar
3 Tbs Cocoa powder
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Peppermint extract

With this one I’ll probably want to heat the cocoa powder with the cream for a bit before cooling it off and adding the extracts.  This way it really infuses into the cream.

You could also make a chocolate cherry using the same proportions but subbing out cherry extract for the mint, or chocolate almond by subbing almond extract for the mint, etc.

Amaretto flavored half & half
2 cups half & half
4 Tbs sugar
1/2 Tbs Almond extract
1/2 Tbs Cherry extract

Anybody else got any other ideas for flavors or coffee creamer recipes to share?

Post to Twitter Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon

Related posts:

12 Comments

• Mama Lusco says:

Good idea! Thanks for the recipes.

• Brandy says:

wow, how easy and great! I’m going to try and make some this week :) I think I’ll buy a couple of containers that I could store them in so that I can make a couple of flavors… I bet a carmel or butterscotch flavor would be amazing!

• Bethany says:

Mama – thanks!

Brandy – It WAS really easy. I just used a clean empty canning jar but if you even have like a mayo jar or something it would work. I need to make more for hubby today and so I’m just going to make the entire container of half & half and pour it right back into the container, since I just need a little bit warmed up to dissolve the sugar. I figure I can make flavors from pretty much anything that has an extract that I can buy in the store. It really doesn’t take much. I think you will love today’s post – I made creme de menthe coffee syrup and my own homemade chocolate syrup! No more Hershey’s for me.

• Oh snap. Here I got all excited about seeing the chocolate sauce recipe and then BAM I see this one. Your blog? Awesome! Nix that, awesome would be an understatement.

How do you store it in the fridge(I’m new to a lot of food storage type of stuff so bear with me)?

• Bethany says:

Actually you know what I’ve been doing? My hubby doesn’t like chocolate in his coffee so my reply to your comment on the chocolate sauce recipe doesn’t go for him. Here’s what I’ve been doing. I bought half & half a half gallon at a time, since it lasts a long time. I pour out a bit of it into a saucepan, and gently heat it with a cup of sugar until the sugar is melted. While it’s still hot, I add 1/4 cup vanilla and then let it cool. Once it’s cooled I pour it right back into the half’n'half container and there it sits in the fridge! When I was experimenting I just kept the smaller amounts in a canning jar. But I figure… I might as well make a whole bunch at one time and the container we get our half’n'half in is big enough to fit the additions of the sugar and vanilla.

That is the same proportions as the vanilla flavored half’n'half above. He will go through that much creamer in about two weeks.

And thank you THANK YOU for your kind comments :)

• chris says:

Great minds DO think alike! I rolled outta bed and while pouring my morning cup of liquid gold ($3.29 per bottle), I thought, there’s gotta be a cheaper way to do this..I added a splurp of vanilla, some honey and half/half (fat free) and it was…ok. Then I dashed to computerfor inspiration and encouragement and viola! Ok. I’m motivated. Thanks Mama and postees!

• Bethany says:

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the kind words. I do agree, the stuff is like liquid gold… lol. Just for the record, our recipe is not quite as sweet as Coffeemate so you may want to add a little extra sugar.

• Lea H
    Twitter:
    says:

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasure’s Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later today when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)
    Lea H would love for you to read..Tropical Traditions Dishwashing Powder giveaway – and the winner is…My Profile

• Deb says:

I think these are great recipes! Good base to creat your own flavs!

• Lisa says:

I use half and half and agave syrup, has a slightly caramel flavor and smoother than sugar … haven’t tried mixing and storing in frig, not sure if the agave would separate and thicken? But flavor is great, much healthier than store bought chemical creamers! Thanks for recipes, going to pass this one on!

• Bethany says:

Oh interesting, I bet it would be pretty good. I don’t think the Agave would separate… though admittedly I’ve never used it but I’ve used honey in this creamer and there was no separation.

1 Trackback or Pingback