We’ve been eating a lot of homemade hummus over the last few years.  The stuff is divine – packed full of “superfoods” like garbanzo beans, olive oil, sesame seeds and raw garlic, hummus is one of my favorite foods. My husband has asked me to pack it for his lunches every day – he has a tortilla, some raw vegetables and a little container of hummus.

Yesterday I canned a few quarts of garbanzo beans (chickpeas) with some of the seasonings necessary for making hummus.  This will really cut back on the time involved when making hummus from scratch.  Canning garbanzo beans yourself really reduces the cost – I can buy 25 lbs of dry garbanzos for under $19.  I can make about 4 cups of homemade hummus for under $1, which is loads cheaper than at the grocery store.

I wish I could make the hummus and then just can it, but there’s a few things that make it unsafe to do that.  Mainly, the added olive oil makes it unsafe for home canning, but also the thickness – most pureed items are not safe for home canning… not just hummus but also other thick pureed type foods like pumpkin puree or refried beans.  When there’s no fluid water in between each piece of food in the jar, the heat can’t penetrate properly and so the inside of the jar doesn’t get processed properly.  When that happens… hello botulism!  The nice this is once they are canned “un-pureed” they are easy to mash up and puree.

Bethany’s Canning Recipe for Garbanzo Beans
This recipe is per quart desired – so if you want to can 6 quarts, multiply it by 6, etc.  You will need a pressure canner for this recipe.

• 1 2/3 cups dry garbanzos
  • 1 Tsp salt (pickling or canning salt is best)
  • 1/4 tsp Cumin
  • 1/4 tsp Black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Mediterranean/Greek seasoning blend

Soak the dry beans overnight.  Into each quart-size jar, add in the seasonings and top off with soaked beans to about an inch from the top.  If your last jar is not quite full, that’s okay.  Cover with boiling water to leave an inch of headspace and seal with your lids according to standard canning directions.  I prefer to fill all the jars about a third of the way full, then go fill them all with another third, and then all the last third.  This helps heat the jars gradually to prevent breakage due to heat stress.

Note:  I do can dry regular beans without soaking, but I do not recommend this with garbanzos.  The rounder shape allows for them to pack tighter and I have had jars blow up on me not because I didn’t leave enough room in the jar itself, but because they were too tightly packed to move freely while expanding.

Shake the jar after filling with water, just a little to mix in the spices before you process them.  Process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure (I use 15 because of my altitude).

And of course, to make the hummus!  I have posted a previous recipe for hummus here before, but it was using commercially canned garbanzos and I have modified it just a little so I can use my quarts.  The quart size is just the perfect amount for a blenderful of hummus, and probably makes about 4 cups.  Best of all – it only costs about $.60 for what is about equal to 2 standard cans of beans.  That’s about 25% of the retail price.

Bethany’s Homemade Hummus
You can see the original recipe using commercially canned garbanzo beans here.

• 1 quart jar of above seasoned garbanzo beans, undrained
  • 3-4 cloves raw garlic
  • 1/3 c. tahini
  • 1/3 c. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • additional water as needed

Empty garbanzo beans into blender pitcher.  Add remaining ingredients and begin blending.  This mixture will initially be too thick for the blender to process.  Add additional water, a little at a time, until the blender is able to process the mixture.
Tip: Put the water in the emptied quart jar first and swirl it around a bit to get all those leftover spices before adding to the blender.

Recipe makes approx. 4 cups.  Serve with raw vegetables, tortillas, pita bread, crackers, or whatever you’d like.  I’m a weirdo and I like mini wraps made with my homemade hummus, a slice of cucumber and pepperoni wrapped in a piece of homemade tortilla :)

This recipe has lots of versatility… I’ve added sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers, even hot peppers.  Pretty much whatever sounded good.

So I hope you enjoyed my canning recipe for garbanzo beans and of course my homemade hummus!  Bon Appetit!

Post to Twitter Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon

Related posts:

19 Comments

• Rachael says:

Can’t wait to try this trick with the canned “hummus” shortcut. THanks for sharing…

• Rachael says:

Where do you get your garbanzo beans? You mentioned being able to get 25 pounds for $19. That’s an incredible price!

• Bethany says:

I get them at my local Winco store in the bulk section. They have them in the bins but you get a little better price if you order them by the bag.

• megan says:

I’m new to canning and I made your recipe along with some curried chick peas. All of my cans lost some water, the liquid is a bit thick and cloudy. They’re all sealed though. Do you think it’s just garbanzo starch causing it, or do I need to toss them all? :(

• Bethany says:

Hi Megan,

Yeah that sounds about standard. Sometimes with canning there is some visible water loss and that’s fine, as long as you processed them with the right pressure/time and the lids are sealed they are perfect. Mine do that too, most often, especially since I generally can dry beans. And as far as the thick and cloudy liquid, that’s also something I usually see. Actually when I open the jars it tends to have turned into more of a “gel” which is totally fine, I just sometimes need to add some extra liquid when making hummus with them.

• Jen says:

I’ve never tried to can garbanzo beans, but it sounds easy enough! I’m co-hosting Canning Week on my blog and invite you to come by and link up your recipe! We’re having a recipe contest and canning related giveaways all week. I hope you stop by!
    Jen @ Mess Hall to Bistro
    Jen would love for you to read..Canning Week 2011My Profile

• Thank you so much. This is the second time I looked for info on a specic topic and your blog came up in my Google search with the into I was looking for (the first was when I was researching canners). Thanks for sharing what you know!
    Moonbeams and Ecodreams would love for you to read..Hello world!My Profile

• amy says:

This is the great kind of recipe that makes all my flubs worth trying. Like a pro baseball player, I don’t expect to get a home run every time I’m at bat, but trust me and my entire family, this IS a home run. I love the idea of canning the chickpeas with the flavor packed into the jar. I popped the lid and started eating them right out of the jar. Now I’m going to get a larger bag of dried chickpeas and make more, more, more!

• Bethany says:

Gosh, thank you! Yeah I don’t know why more people don’t can WITH seasonings. It makes life so much easier. I know the argument is, well what if you want to do something different with them? Which I suppose could hold some merit with particular things, but I’d rather can things with a variety of different seasoning “themes” than can them all plain. Canning with the seasonings really gets the flavor right into the food. Reminds me of when I canned pears with pieces of fresh ginger. Those were awesome.

• Leah Adams says:

I’m getting a pressure canner this week as an early Christmas present. I’ve been looking for recipes to break in the canner. This one looks wonderful! I love hummus, and I love shortcuts.

• Leslie says:

I tried your recipe (both the canning of the beans, as well as the hummus). I also made my own tahini. I could not find Greek blend seasonings, so I searched for a recipe, and using the spices from the bulk section in my local store, I was able to make my own blend. The only thing I did different was to add a roasted red pepper to the hummus, and I used a bit more garlic. I also cooked the beans for about 30 minutes after I soaked them.

I want to tell you that it was the best hummus I have ever had. So fresh, so full of flavor, and a really fun project, too. Lucky for me, I have a pressure canner, which was a must for the beans. Bravo. A truly wonderful recipe.

• Stacey says:

Soaking my dried garbanzo beans tonight and will try this recipe for the first time tomorrow! I have nine cups of dried beans and I paid $1.29# for them at a bulk food store. The organic ones were $2.39#.

• Bethany says:

Hi Stacey,

Sounds great! What a deal, huh… dried beans are so much cheaper. How much hummus can you make with those, eh? :)

• Stacey says:

I wanted to use all pint jars, but I only had 10 that were not full so I had to also use 2 quart jars. Not a bad yield, huh? Yesterday I canned 10 quarts of turkey stock, and last week I had a Pickle Party and made 69 quarts of dill pickles and 20 pints of sweet pickles. The week before I processed about 20 quarts of red beans, pinto beans, navy beans and split peas. They are so much easier to process than tomatoes – which are next on my list and my least favorite. The smell, the stickiness . . . blech. But I do love my spaghetti sauce! So now I have to buy more jars or find someone who used to can but doesn’t anymore who still has a stash in her basement. :)

1 Trackback or Pingback